Got a man in your life and want to make him feel appreciated? Maybe it is your husband, boyfriend, friend, or family member. Whoever it is, they deserve a really good compliment.
Compliments make us feel good about ourselves, and hearing them from those we know and trust can profoundly positively impact our mood.
It may be small and subtle or a grand display of appreciation. Either way, a genuine compliment for your man will surely give him a mood boost.
Use the compliments below to help him feel loved and appreciated. Stick around after the examples because we will explore how to compliment him, why it is essential, and how compliments can help a relationship thrive.
Physical compliments for men
Let’s admit it. Physical attraction is the beginning of most relationships. As such, complimenting the man in our lives on how he looks is easy as pie. Here are some ways to let your guy know he is physically attractive.
- You’re incredibly handsome.
- I like your deodorant, it smells really nice.
- You have kind eyes.
- I like looking into your eyes. They’re beautiful.
- How did you get in such good shape?
- You’re a great listener. I always feel heard when I speak to you. I appreciate your attention.
- You know how to take care of yourself. I appreciate that in a man.
- I like your hair. Do you do something to make it look that way?
- That outfit you’re wearing really brings out your personality.
- You have good taste in fashion. I’m always impressed by the way you dress.
- I like how you carry yourself. You look incredibly confident and self-assured.
- Your smile makes me feel butterflies in my stomach.
- You’re the most handsome man I’ve ever seen in my life.
- You’ve got a strong jawline.
- Your hair looks so healthy and strong! What do you do to keep it that way?
Compliments that aren’t about the appearance
It is not all about looks.
Men like to receive compliments about their appearance, but women know all too well that there are more things to compliment a person than just how they look.
These non-appearance-based compliments will tell him that you see him beyond his looks and appreciate the man underneath.
- You’re such a gentleman.
- You are such a wonderful person and a such a dependable guy.
- I love that you have such an energetic personality.
- You always make me laugh. I appreciate your sense of humor.
- You have such a kind heart.
- I like the way you look at the world. You’re very mature and see things in ways that others don’t.
- You always have something interesting to talk about. I learned so much from you.
- You’re a deeply kind person. That’s rare in the world, so I appreciate you.
- I like you just as you are. Don’t change for anybody.
- You have such great ideas.
- You are so much fun, I love spending time with you.
- I appreciate your selfless nature. You always like to make sure that others have what they need.
- I feel like you understand me. It’s difficult for me to find people I can open up to, so thank you for being here.
- You always see things clearly when we argue. You’re like a relationship expert!
- I’m impressed by how emotionally resilient you are. Even in the most challenging situations, you manage to keep your head up.
- You always give the best advice. Whenever I have an issue, you’ve got several solutions from me.
- I appreciate that you took the time to check on me. I appreciate that you’re busy, and I see your effort.
- Your parents raised an amazing man.
- Your honesty makes you brave. You’re brave and should be proud of yourself for being so honest.
- You know a lot. I’m impressed by your intelligence.
- I like a man who reads.
- You’re great at solving problems. Have you ever thought about becoming a lifestyle strategist?
- Were you at the top of your class in school? I bet you were.
- When I’m confused, I know I can rely on you to think of a great solution.
- You have a rich inner self. You’re very mature and self-aware, which shines through in your behavior.
Compliments about his fathering skills
A nurturing man is inherently beautiful. Let him know that you see the caring, wise, and grounded support he offers his children.
Michelle Afont, divorce attorney, relationship expert, and author of The Dang Factor, explains:
‘Most men take pride in their fathering skills and appreciate the recognition.‘Michelle Afont
A great man is a great father. These compliments about his fathering skills will lighten up his day and help him realize how appreciated he is by you and the children.
- I’m so happy I got to have children with you. You’re a great father.
- Our kids are lucky to have you.
- You raised great kids.
- You’re a wonderful father.
- I hope our children grow up to appreciate you as much as I do.
- I don’t have to worry so much about the kids because you’re so safe and responsible.
- Having a family with you was the greatest thing that ever happened to me.
- I always knew you’d be a great dad.
Compliments to your boyfriend
Even if there is no legal ties yet, encouraging words to your boyfriend can also nurture the relationship.
- I love you so much.
- There is no one else I’d rather be with.
- I’d like to have a family with you someday. You’re mature and responsible, and I think you’d make a great father for our kids.
- You feel at home. I always feel safe and loved when I’m around you.
- Being with you is a dream come true.
- I can’t imagine my life without you.
- I’m so glad we met.
- From the first time we met, I knew you were going to be someone incredibly special to me.
- You give me a great sense of trust and confidence.
- You’re grounding energy, and I appreciate that about you.
Compliments for the bedroom
Share these compliments during some sweet pillow talk and make the moment even more intimate:
- You’re a gentle person, and I appreciate that about you.
- You always listen to me so well. You know what I like and don’t want, and you respect me very much.
- You touch me in all the right places.
- You pay close attention, and I appreciate it. It makes me feel like being with you is a mindful experience.
- You’re a generous lover. You always care about my needs.
- You always help me feel safe. That’s an important trait, and you’re one of the rare men who makes me feel that way.
- You make me feel sexy. When you look at me that way, I feel so confident.
- I like the way you move. You look like an animal.
- I love waking up next to you in the morning. It’s a great way to start the day.
Compliments about his talents
The men in our lives face competition everyday. Say a few positive words to him to uplift his spirits.
- You’re such a good cook. I get so happy when you tell me you’re going to cook dinner.
- You’re such a talented musician. When you play, you make my heart sing.
- You’re incredibly intelligent. I love reading your work.
- You’re a talented athlete. I appreciate all the hard work and discipline you put into your training.
- You’re so hard working that it makes me want to improve my work ethic.
- You have a keen eye for detail.
- You’re nurturing skills that shine through your work. Your team is lucky to have you.
- You have the voice of an angel.
- I love how committed and disciplined you are to your craft.
How to compliment a guy
So, you have an extensive list of compliments for the men in your life above, but how exactly do you offer those compliments in a way that makes them stick? The key is to be as authentic and honest as possible and practice open, positive, and appropriate body language.
Man or woman, nobody likes an inauthentic compliment. They are easy to see through and do not last.
Sometimes we see through inauthentic compliments because we know the other person has an agenda. Sometimes we feel like a compliment is not meant because of how someone said it or the messages their body language conveyed at the time.
The most important thing to remember when complimenting your man is to mean it. Do not just rely on shallow clichés to make him feel good.
Think about what you like about him, write it down if it helps you think more clearly, and tell him.
We say far more with our body language, actions, and behavior than words. Words can be false, but body language often tells a deeper truth.
If you want him to hear your compliments and believe you when you say them, emphasize the message with your body language.
Make and maintain eye contact, direct your body towards him, and listen to him actively. Lean in during the conversation, touch his arm lightly, or offer a hug with a compliment.
These extra details might seem small, but they make a big difference. They break a barrier between you and him and convey your message on a deeper level.
If you want to give him a warm feeling with your compliments, do not rush for a cliché.
If you have just met him, take some time to get to know him a little better. You can also offer some small compliments initially, but ensure to spend time with him.
Pay attention to what he likes, his ethics and morals, what he is passionate about, and what it looks like when he tries his best.
These things are much more subtle but far more critical than surface-level reasons complimenting him.
Why is it important to compliment men?
Evidence shows that lots of men are struggling today. Society places an incredible amount of pressure on men to fit into an idea that many struggle to attain.
Those who achieve society’s ideal image of a man often feel it took a lot of work, unnecessary suffering, and sacrifice.
Many men grow up with a deep need to be seen as strong, brave, smart, and grounded. They learn about an ideal masculine that they try to embody by suppressing feelings like uncertainty or doubt.
As such, they tend to repress their emotional side and often do not admit how much they would like attention and affection.
Many guys feel self-conscious, even those who put on the most strong personality. It is a special moment when someone sees through the mask and compliments them on their inner self.
That is why it is essential to give your man some genuine compliments.
Complimenting his looks from time to time is fine, but do not be afraid to go deeper. The man in your life whom you want to compliment will appreciate you taking the time to make him feel loved and validated.
Moreover, men’s mental health is a huge issue worldwide, and it is time we started showing the men in our lives just how important they are to us.
The power of compliments
Life can be hectic and stressful. Sometimes, when we find ourselves struggling, a well-intended, heartfelt compliment from a loved one is all we need to turn a bad day into a good one.
In romantic relationships and marriages, compliments are a powerful tool for positive change. They make your partner feel good about themselves and improve your sense of well-being.
Researchers Dr. Robert A Emmons and Dr. Michael McCullough found from a study that participants who intentionally practiced gratitude in their day-to-day life over a week reported much higher levels of happiness, contentment, and well-being than control groups who focused more on negative experiences or eternal events.
Compliments serve as an expression of gratitude that helps Emmons and McCullough’s findings.
According to research, telling your partner why and how much you appreciate them cultivates well-being and improves communication around relationship concerns.
Dr. Sara Algoe and her colleagues found that
‘An emotional response of gratitude for “every day” interpersonal gestures can be a powerful mechanism for relationship growth.‘Dr. Sara Algoe
Everyone loves to receive compliments. Whether they are about our looks, skills, work ethic, or intelligence, compliments make us feel good.
They give us a warm feeling inside, make our hearts smile, and can change our entire day around for the better. Hearing genuine appreciation and support moves us into a reciprocal appreciative state and works wonders for any relationship.
The most important thing to remember when complimenting your loved one, regardless of gender, is to be authentic.